When I tell people that I write a blog, the most common question I get asked is, “What is your blog about?” I often struggle to answer that concisely. The short answer is, “Whatever I want.”
While that is both concise and accurate, it is not sexy or compelling. There’s so much more to it, but the proper brief description has alluded me thus far. So, here is a quick outline of the high points that I cover, with my attempt at a summary statement at the end.
By and large…
I blog about things I’ve learned
In my many times around the sun, I’ve picked up knowledge that has been worthwhile and helpful to me. So much that, I think it some of it might be helpful to others. So I share it, with the hopes that maybe it will shed light on someone’s path.
That includes advice, etiquette, and various observations. It may also include takeaways from things I have read and learned from sources I trust.
I blog about things I care about
That is admittedly a pretty wide net.
If it is something that I have contemplated deeply, or for a long time, I might just write about it.
I love to laugh, and I am constantly thinking about scenarios that make me chuckle. Comedy routine fragments run around in my brain on a daily basis. When I sit down to write, however, I find that the comedy bits are not only harder to write, but they are not what flows out. I would love to write a humor blog, and I may write humorous posts from time to time, but that is not my focus.
The things that flow from my mind to my keyboard are more often things of a more serious, sometimes eternal, nature.
- Psychology, personality and behavior issues
- Spiritual matters – Bible application & analysis, my walk with God, my passion for discipleship and service
- Moods and attitudes concerning significant holidays
- Goals and plans for the future
- Victories regarding goals (working on some of those for 2018 and beyond!)
- Satire (not everything is serious!)
- Exploring ways to be a better human
- I’m not above sharing recipes, though I am more of a consumer of those than a creator
- Anything else that comes to mind
See? As I said, I blog about “whatever I want.” I guess I’d say if I were forced to boil it down to a single sentence: my blog is about personal and spiritual development. I’m too random, and my desire for variety is far too high, to focus on one particular area.
Thank you for taking the time to read this! If you have any ideas about things you’d like me to blog about, please drop a comment. I’d love to hear what is on your mind.